Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Disconcerting news: discrimitation still rampant

Note: some links might ask you to register. Don't. Unless you want to. Instead, go here. Bugmenot.com is a great way save time and privacy. Anyway...

I thought that we had done in discrimination years ago. I thought that the world was enlightened. Or at least that our country was. I thought that we had reached that state of education where children grew up and learned that judgment was wrong for any and every reason, that hatred had no place in this world and only existed because of talk radio. I thought we were free from evil, morally charged words like...well, evil, moral, wrong and right.

I thought that.

But it seems I was wrong.

First the Harvard Crimson opened my eyes to the problem. I know that Larry Summers is a vile, despicable person who has no business leading a university since he has a propensity to ask what he calls 'challenging questions' but would make any normal person sick. So it didn't surprise me that his attitude has carried over into the rest of the university, at least according to this. Yes, friends, sadly it seems that the door to doctrinal hatred has been opened, and someone made 'heteronormative' remarks at a Cultural Rhythms show. Now, I know what you are thinking. It might be that someone's culture uses heteronormative language to define itself, but, unless it is a sorely misunderstood culture like Islam, it is wrong to use loaded, heteronormative words, especially when describing relationships. Fortunately, the Harvard Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Multi-sexual, inter-sexual, transgendered and other-sexual alliance has stepped in to re-educate all those who were unwittingly brainwashed by the remarks (which have been omitted from the article, in case anyone were to read them and thus also need retraining).

However, my eyes have now been opened, and I see that in addition to heteronormative language, agenormative language has seeped into news reports, even in the NYT (see yesterday's blog). "Pedophile" is such a loaded term! It implies that there are appropriate age roles related to sexual relationships. And it doesn't end there! Enlightened now, I have seen homosapienomative language in judgmental news stories such as this.

SHOCKING!

Why can't we all just get along?

Hat tip to Nathan for getting me going on this little rant...

No comments: